A list of contacts is one of the most important things a blogger can have. If you’re serious about making money online, you need to learn how to build a list the right way.
Getting people to provide you with their email addresses willingly can be somewhat difficult, so you need to prove to them that you will only send out informative emails and updates and not spam.
Furthermore, you also need to promise to keep their emails private and not sell them to a third party.
Getting people to sign up for your list or newsletter or free “give-away” willingly is referred to as “opting-in”. Your list should consist of as many opt-in emails as possible in order for you to successfully run your email marketing campaigns.
Here are some of the best methods for list building:
1. Offer a “freebie” to readers in return for signing up. There are millions of people out there who are looking for free stuff on the internet every day. You can give away anything from a free e-book to a software download. Just make sure it is of a high quality, otherwise your optiins will un-subscribe.
2. Hold a contest. I held my very first contest just a few months ago. From that contest, I received over 200 opt-ins. If it’s a nice prize, many people will be willing to give you their email just for a chance to win!
3. Join a forum and write intelligent, thoughtful posts. Participate in discussions and debates. It’s okay to stir up a bit of controversy here and there. Make sure everyone knows that they can learn more if they sign up for your list. You can have the link to your blog or squeeze page in your signature. It’ll show up in every single one of your posts.
4. Write articles, tutorials, tips, etc. and submit them to article directories and social bookmarking sites. Once again, make sure readers know that they can join your list for more information. You need to establish yourself as an expert so that people will want to listen to what you have to say. Don’t just write the same articles over and over again—be creative and make each one unique. Make your articles, tips, and guides stand out above your competitors.
5. Make sure that every single email or newsletter you send out is of a high quality. Even if you only have a few subscribers, you need to put a lot of time and effort into making the email campaign great. Word of mouth is one of the best ways to attract more readers. Your subscribers will be more willing to share and forward your emails to their friends and family if the content is of excellent quality and useful.
6. Make the list easy to sign up for. Some webmasters make subscribers fill out a questionnaire just to join a list! The only things you really need to get from potential subscribers are their names and emails. Also, make sure you add a disclaimer to inform them that you won’t give or sell their information to a third party. Once they sign up, make it easy for them to download their free gift. You can use tools and scripts to help you build, run, and maintain your list. The best tool around is Aweber.
7. Guest blogging. By guest blogging you can attract new visitors. Some of those new visitors will opt-in to your free guide or give-away. For more information on guest blogging, check out this previous post of mine: Guest Blogging
By using these techniques your number of opt-ins will grow very rapidly.
What ways would you add to improve your list building? Share you views in the comments below.