Warning: Illegal string offset 'singular_post_taxonomy' in /home/customer/www/webuildyourblog.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/canvas/functions/admin-functions.php on line 2803

Warning: Illegal string offset 'singular_portfolio_taxonomy' in /home/customer/www/webuildyourblog.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/canvas/includes/theme-functions.php on line 819

50 Tips For Online Owners Who Work From Home

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 LinkedIn 0 Email -- Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

working from homeMany people could benefit from some simple tips to improve their life, but those people who work from home face special challenges.

From ways to succeed at work to how to relax, here are fifty tips to help turn your life around.

1. Create a healthy working environment. Long periods of typing in the wrong position can lead to repetitive strain injuries, headaches and other ongoing afflictions. A good desk and chair at the right height is essential.

2. Distractions cost you time, keep the TV off when writing.

3. Separate home and writing by not writing in a place where most of your daily activities occur. This can help you get into the right frame of mind to write.

4. Don’t be afraid to have an office full of toys if you have kids at home. They will need to be happy and occupied for you to have a chance to write.

5. Some noise and distractions can’t be avoided. Music or white noise can help to block them out.

6. Music affects your mood so careful choices are essential. Motivational music is helpful but soothing music may lull you to sleep or break your concentration.

7. Working from home removes one way of making contact with others. Make the needed effort to replace that by taking up a hobby.

8. Don’t let your day be an endless snack break. Being home keeps you close to your pantry-temptation is close at hand. Eat only at set times.

9. Keep healthy snacks on hand for when you give in to temptation.

10. Take proper meal breaks, away from the computer rather than grazing all day. A real meal is more satisfying and less likely to encourage further snacking.

11. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, eat a healthy, hearty meal, and don’t skip it.

13. Exercise can help you feel good by releasing endorphins and also help you concentrate. Make use of this to perk you up.

14. Learn to relax, and practice meditation if it helps.

15. Keeping work and home separate can help relaxation, as few people can relax at work.

16. Take note of when you are happy and why. These moments can be used as a focus for meditation and thoughtful relaxation, and once you know what makes you happy you can try to recreate those times more often.

17. Make a dedicated relaxation nook in your home. Soft lighting and furnishing, a few growing plants and your favorite books or music may help you unwind.

19. Make time to be with friends and family, and keep up with their news and good fortunes.

20. Talk about things that are bothering you, be they work or personal. Solutions may be found, but if nothing else friends support friends.

21. Avoid jealousy when things are going well for others-this negative emotion can lead to more negativity.

22. Try to see the world through the eyes of a child. Their joy and love of life is contagious.

23. Learn from the wisdom of older people-listen patiently when they recount stories of their youth, as they may have a lot they can teach you.

24. Put time aside each day for time outside. The break from routine is refreshing, as is the fresh air. Take time to appreciate nature.

25. If something causes you stress try to let it go. When stress becomes the focus of your day then it is hard to get anything else done.

26. Learn something new every day to help keep your mind sharp.

27. Being your own boss is hard work when you are used to having someone tell you what to do. Set goals and aim to meet them on time.

28. Work hard to achieve goals-not meeting them can cause further delays in other work later in the week and can make it increasingly hard to get back on top. It also makes you feel bad.

29. Make your goals small and achievable at steps along a large project-too large a goal to handle can lead to failure, especially when it is hard to estimate the needed time. Reaching these goes makes you feel good.

30. Set goals for your life achievement as well as your work. Aim to fix up your home, lose weight, or whatever else is bothering you.

31. Be realistic. Aiming to rule the world within two years is destined to failure, and more negative feelings.

32. Set new goals when previous ones have been reached. Never leave yourself without the motivation of achievable goals.

33. Thought should precede action. Ill thought out action has a greater chance of failing or going wrong.

34. If something goes wrong with either your personal or work life, try to fix it before you go to sleep. Not doing so can spoil your sleep and prolong ill feeling.

35. Don’t dwell on your failures, now or in the past. Chances are you won’t remember them a few years from now.

36. When the day is over reflect on your achievements that day, and try to forget the rest.

37. Follow through on things that need to be done. Don’t put something aside with promises to yourself that you will do it later, because chances are you won’t. If it needs doing, do it now.

38. Money isn’t everything, and there are times when you have to cut back on the work that you do for your own personal good. After all what is the point in working 24/7 if you have no time to enjoy it?

39. Supporting your family involves more than just making money. Be there for their emotional needs as well, and spend time with them so that you know what is going on in their life.

40. Work isn’t life. Make time for fun and things that you enjoy, even if that is just a bubble bath.

41. Make work fun! If a visit to the zoo, or a wildlife reserve can be incorporated into what you do it can ease the stress and avoid monotony.

42. Learn when to walk away and take a break. There’s plenty that needs doing in the house if you want to change task, but don’t sit at the desk and idle. If your concentration is broken, learn when to walk away to refresh, so you can come back renewed.

43. Where you can, make changes to eliminate the things in your life that make you unhappy.

44. Learn to accept that there are things you cannot change and make peace with them. Don’t let them be a focus of your day.

45. Being optimistic helps you see the best in people and get the best from life. On the other hand people who expect bad things to happen normally find a way to make it so.

46. Find time for laughter. Read a joke a day to keep your mood up, and smile more.

47. Believe in yourself and your own future success.

48. Don’t listen to doubters if they tell you that you cannot do something-you are in control of your life.

49. Establish a good routine and keep to it so that you know when you are working and so that you don’t run out of time, and when you can relax.

50. Don’t stay in your pyjamas all day unless you are able to work well that relaxed. Getting dressed may help you find the right mindset for working.

What works for you? Any tips you’d like to add? Please share in the comments below.

_________________________________________________________________________________

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 LinkedIn 0 Email -- Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

, , , , , , ,

134 Responses to 50 Tips For Online Owners Who Work From Home

1. Tom February 3, 2010 at 11:16 pm #

So many great tips, it is going to be hard not to try and implement them all at once. I like to keep music off while I work cause I find it distracts me.
    .-= [email protected] Squeeze Pages´s last blog ..Do I Need My Own Product Before I Start List Building? =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 4, 2010 at 8:14 am #

Tom,

Implement one at a time – that’s what works for me. Make it a habit before moving onto the next one.

I like relaxing type music in the background.

2. Gerlaine February 3, 2010 at 5:38 pm #

These are amazing tips! Some I incorporate and others I will be incorporating.

I believe that it is good to get out of the house daily when you work at home. Outside exercise is always good. If the weather does not permit, then just getting your heart rate up in a different room in the house can help.

These tips are for anyone actually. They can help worker, mother, or clergy! Thanks.

• Andrew Rondeau February 4, 2010 at 8:11 am #

Gerlaine,

How are you?

I re-started my exercise regime this year – I was getting far too heavy (i.e. fat!). So now I exercise everyday – some days much more than others but at least 30 minutes and it’s working.

Which tips will you be incorporating?

3. Paul February 3, 2010 at 10:22 pm #

Thanks for the great tips.
    I think setting up a short term goals would be a good idea. If you can not reach it, do beat yourself up. Try to find out why and learn from the mistake. If there is no failure, there is No life.
    Lean from failures and corporate the risks.

• Andrew Rondeau February 4, 2010 at 8:12 am #

Paul,

I believe we learn more from mistakes and not waht to do than not making any and knowing what to do!

4. Ms. Freeman February 3, 2010 at 10:54 pm #

This is a very timely post, I began my work at home career today. I stayed focused and productive all day, but I am sure I’ll be referring back to this list as time progresses. 🙂
    .-= Ms. Freeman´s last blog ..You Are Only As Great As Your Community =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 4, 2010 at 8:13 am #

Ms. Freeman,

Congrats to YOU!

Excited?

Let us know how it progresses, won’t you?

Tell us what works for you.

5. Tyrone February 4, 2010 at 10:09 am #

Hi Andrew,

Great lineup! My weakness is any type of destruction especially at work that’s why I have my office-like space at home and that really helped me create blog/video posts even easier because everything that goes in mind links idea by idea because I’m all-out focus. It also saves me time from rewriting too much.

• Andrew Rondeau February 4, 2010 at 12:36 pm #

Tyrone,

I have dedicated office space as well and I often shut the door!

6. Raymond Chua February 4, 2010 at 10:09 am #

Wow! There are so many tips that I never thought before. Thanks Andrew. 🙂
    .-= Raymond Chua´s last blog ..A Start of Something New =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 4, 2010 at 12:36 pm #

Raymond,

I hope some of them make a difference. Which one will you use first?

7. Robb Sutton February 4, 2010 at 12:08 pm #

Great tips! I especially like the one about getting up and getting dressed. Productivity drastically increases when you get up with the right mindset.
    .-= Robb Sutton´s last blog ..6 Days, 19306 Pageviews, 1039 Posts and 214 Members =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 4, 2010 at 12:39 pm #

Robb,

Once showered, breakfasted and dressed…I’m ready for work.

Although I do often get up before everyone else, put on some jogging bottoms and work before the rest of the family get up.

8. Lance Nelson February 4, 2010 at 8:22 am #

Hi Andrew,

Your list really has been a timely reminder of things. Excellent tips… oh yes the pyjamas one. Guilty as charged!

Music just deos not work for me, so it’s lucky I work from home, as most Bulgarians can’t work without noise (music).

Great blog, thank you.
    .-= Lance Nelson´s last blog ..Mountain Restaurants =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 4, 2010 at 12:35 pm #

Thanks, Lance.

I often do shorts and t-shirt but never pyjamas!

9. Joel February 4, 2010 at 5:36 pm #

I think I practice, oh, about 6 of theses! I’m not the right person to ask for more tips I need to learn the ones out there already. Great list, thanks!
    .-= Joel´s last blog ..The Third Tribe? Is it Me Or Is This Thing Weird? =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 5, 2010 at 8:50 am #

LOL!

Get to practice 7 of them and make the 7th one a habit. Then add another one, make it a habit, then another…

There’s no rush!

10. Rich Hill February 4, 2010 at 11:19 am #

Thanks for ruining my day Andrew. LOL

Seriously, this is great information and to those that are working so hard to be successful online many of the inner self and physical well being regimens fall by the wayside.

It is so important to force oneself to concentrate on exercise and health. The option of course is to be the richest person in the graveyard.

All the best and keep up the good work.
    Rich
    .-= Rich [email protected]´s last blog ..Does Any Average Blogger Make Money with Tweets that are Sponsored? =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 4, 2010 at 12:38 pm #

Hey Rich,

It’s so easy to just work, work, work…

That’s what I did the majority of last year and put on 25lbs of fat!

This I’m doing my best to get rid of it.

11. Birney Summers February 4, 2010 at 12:16 pm #

Very timely coaching for me since I am home between jobs. I have to keep reminding myself to “step away from the computer” and do other things.
    .-= Birney Summers´s last blog ..Save Money by Using Energy Just Where You Need it =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 4, 2010 at 12:40 pm #

Birney

I found that hard to begin with – to step away and do something else.

I had to force myslef and now I just do and don’t worry about it.

12. Chris Peterson February 4, 2010 at 12:21 pm #

Wow Andrew Rondeau! I had read so many posts from your site. But I really loved this post. Always I hate to work in home in long time but after deeply going through your post now I realised its more benefit then office.

• Andrew Rondeau February 4, 2010 at 12:41 pm #

Thanks Chris.

What do you hate about working from home?

13. NiceBlogger February 4, 2010 at 1:16 pm #

Amazing list ! I’ve shared this list with my friends.I think that most of readers will not read the entire list with tips and this is a big mistake . I’ve readed all the list and it’s very interesing and useful .
    I really like the tip number 40,great point of view!
    .-= NiceBlogger´s last blog ..101 articles directories – PR human verified =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 4, 2010 at 3:40 pm #

NiceBlogger,

You like a nice bubble bath!

Seriously, what things do you do that are fun during your working day?

14. Bruce "the Mid-Life Mentor" February 4, 2010 at 1:43 pm #

I really relate to many of these and especially eating away from the computer screen or any screen for that matter. Since I eat to live, I try to enjoy my eating and savor it – a time of meditation and gratitude that I have a good meal and the time to enjoy it. It makes me more conscious of my body and its needs. I set a timer for 55 minutes and have a list of exercises that last 4 minutes or less. When the timer goes off, I get up, stretch and do my exercise, drink some water and then return to the goal for the next hour.
    I really liked #38 and #40. I will put these on a card to remind me of these important points. Thanks for this great list.
    .-= Bruce “the Mid-Life Mentor”´s last blog ..How to receive 10 hours of coaching for You and Three Friends =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 4, 2010 at 3:43 pm #

Bruce,

Wow – that is what I called organised and focussed. Might try that one myself – 55 mins and 4 mins of exercise.

15. Phil February 4, 2010 at 1:59 pm #

Hi Andrew,

cool post. Very inspiring post. Reminds me of some of the sayings of the AA (Anonymous Alcoholics):

Dear God,
    please help me change things that I am able to change,
    please help me accept things that I cannot change
    and give me the wisdom to differentiate one from the other.
    .-= Phil´s last blog ..Welcome to Excel-King =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 4, 2010 at 3:49 pm #

Phil,

Very true. Most things we are in control of and can change – especially our working environments and our daily tasks.

16. Michelle Vandepas February 4, 2010 at 2:15 pm #

Hi Andrew- I think #16 is the most important – when you tap into the joy of what you are doing – and WHY, then you can stay on focus/track with what lights you up inside – which keeps you motivated, and keep you on purpose. When you are on purpose in your life, (which has nothing to do with a job or a role) then you will stay even more motivated, joyful and ready to go back to work tomorrow – or do other things that give you joy! it’s a circle of purpose!
    .-= Michelle Vandepas´s last blog ..Nancy Michaels – Organ Recipient – Near Death Survivor =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 4, 2010 at 3:51 pm #

Michelle,

You are right!

Problem I have is I love my work so much that I could work all day and night if I had the energy.

17. Cheryl from thatgirlisfunny February 4, 2010 at 2:16 pm #

Hi Andrew,
    Fabulous list! Sometimes, I get so busy, I forget to eat which causes problems later on because I get so hungry and irritable. It just works better to schedule meal breaks. I love the idea of taking laughter breaks! Many good things to consider, but I’m choosing #18 to focus on. I tend to write things on slips of paper as I think of them. I have little piles of “to-do’s” scattered about causing me anxiety because they’re not done yet. I’m going to work on getting a better plan for those little power stacks. 😀
    .-= Cheryl from thatgirlisfunny´s last blog ..Sticky Situations: I’m trying to watch the game and these cheerleaders keep getting in the way =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 4, 2010 at 3:56 pm #

Cheryl,

Take all the littles notes and simply put the words from them in a note book and remind yourself to look at the notebook.

Plus I want to see a before and after photo!

P.S With you in it!

18. Michelle Vandepas February 4, 2010 at 2:16 pm #

just noticed that keyword luv thingy Andrew – that right there is worth this blog! thanks again for the tips!
    .-= Michelle [email protected] purpose´s last blog ..Nancy Michaels – Organ Recipient – Near Death Survivor =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 4, 2010 at 3:57 pm #

Thanks, Michelle!

Most people don’t realise how important the keyword luv and backlink is.

P.S. You got 2 now!

19. Tom February 4, 2010 at 2:16 pm #

These days I struggle most with #26. Of course, there is a way to learn something new every day from home, but I find this the biggest limitation of working from home. There’s nothing like learning from others. Every time I go out, I meet somebody interesting, I have a new idea for a new post from conversations from others, etc. I made it a point to go out three times a week to meet people and mingle, mostly to networking events, and these never fail to inspire me.
    .-= Tom´s last blog ..Web Accessibility Seminar in Manila, Philippines =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 4, 2010 at 3:59 pm #

Tom,

That’s a great one, isn’t it. I love to learn and then share. Have you tried using forums and asking questions?

Must admit you cannot beat the networking – I need to do more of that, face to face.

• Tom February 5, 2010 at 4:08 pm #

Andrew,
        I sure spend lot’s of time on forums, and commenting blogs. But being out there, meeting with your industry’s leaders and clients is something else. I love going to conferences for example. I always have a feeling after I’m out that I have so many new ideas to implement or write about that I’m ready to get home and put it all into practice. And of course, once I’m done, I’m ready to leave home again.
        .-= Tom´s last blog ..Web Accessibility Seminar in Manila, Philippines =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 6, 2010 at 7:38 am #

Tom,

I’ve been to conferences in the past (for corporate work purposes) and you get back and don’t have time to do anything with what you have learned. Working for yourself – it’s now your decision. You can decide to use it or not.

Any conferences you recommend?

20. Benjamin February 4, 2010 at 2:57 pm #

Thanks Andrew…

This is an awesome list!

I can personally testify to the power of daily exercise when working from home (or between jobs).

This not only helps keep the weight down… it keeps the attitude and energy levels up… which is important for everyone, but it’s absolutely critical for people working from home.

keep smiling,

Ben

• Andrew Rondeau February 4, 2010 at 4:00 pm #

Thanks, Ben.

I am on a exercising crusade at the moment trying to lose some weight. I am exercising daily – whether it’s donw the gym, dancing, wii Fit or badminton.

21. Happy maker February 4, 2010 at 3:08 pm #

Thanks for the great tips. I do have a problem with the breakfast. Just can’t eat right away in th morning. Never have been able to do that. I have found that I do my best work in the mornings an early afternoon, so I save my work around the house for late afternoon. Evening I do take a few hours to relax and spend with family.
    My biggest problem is connecting with the outside world. That is were it helps to read your blog and make comments.In this way I can take advantage of 26 and learn something new every day. Thanks Andrew.

• Andrew Rondeau February 4, 2010 at 4:02 pm #

Debbie,

You have found one huge advantage – you know when you work best!

Successful blogging is all about relationships. Either face to face or skype or commenting, etc.

It takes discipline but is very rewarding.

22. Anne Moss February 4, 2010 at 3:38 pm #

Some very good tips here, and many should be read and applied by people who work in an office outside the home.

By the way, I really like watching tv/movies on the computer as I work. I think it’s a woman’s thing. Two X chromosomes, so easier to multi-task 😉
    .-= Anne Moss´s last blog ..Five Ways I Make Money from My Blogs and Sites =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 4, 2010 at 4:18 pm #

Anne,

I would lose focus if the TV were on. I would get engrossed in a program and bam…no work!

23. Corinne Edwards February 4, 2010 at 4:41 pm #

Hi Andrew –

This was the most important tip for me.

“Put time aside each day for time outside. The break from routine is refreshing, as is the fresh air. Take time to appreciate nature.”

Chicago has lots of snow and especially last year ICE. You took your life (and bones) in your hands just walking to your car in the parking lot. Forget taking a walk in “nature.”

Most of us became moles, used delivery service for groceries and the Internet was our best friend.

It became a bad habit when the weather improved.

This spring I am going to break it and get outside more!

Thanks for the reminder and all the other tips.
    .-= Corinne Edwards´s last blog ..WHAT IS YOUR INTUITION TELLING YOU? =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 5, 2010 at 8:46 am #

Corinne

These last few months the UK has suffered it worst snow fall for 30 years and we found it hard to get out as well. We have to force ourselves and get back into a routine.

24. Dennis Edell February 4, 2010 at 6:06 pm #

Very well thought out, this is one to print. 🙂
    .-= Dennis Edell´s last blog ..Welcome Aboard Part 2! All The Info You’ve Been Waiting For… =-.

25. Jennifer Adams Juan February 4, 2010 at 7:30 pm #

This post is a winner! Not to brag or anything but it reaffirms all those things I’ve been doing since I started working from home back in Jan.2008. I am happy to be reminded of some of those things again. I will surely share this to my network. 🙂
    .-= Jennifer Adams Juan´s last blog ..Celebrate Chinese New Year at Hong Kong Disneyland =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 5, 2010 at 8:51 am #

Thanks, Jennifer!

What do you do from home?

26. Teagan February 5, 2010 at 3:43 am #

This is a great post for anyone, not just people who work at home. But there are also definite things unique to people who work from home, like the endless snack break… just grabbing something as you walk through the kitchen whether you’re hungry or not. I like the idea of a dedicated relaxation nook. We hear about a dedicated work space, but not so much a place just for relaxation! Lots of food for thought here.
    .-= Teagan´s last blog ..Lemon Benefits Health =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 5, 2010 at 9:01 am #

Teagan

When I first started working from home:

09am coffee and choc biscuiits.

10.30am coffee and choc biscuits

12.00 Lunch

14.00am coffee and choc biscuits

15.30am coffee and choc biscuits

17.30 Dinner

I put on 25lbs last year.

This year it’s coming off and staying off.

27. Jan - queenofkaos February 5, 2010 at 4:08 am #

Hi Andrew, it was VERY hard to pick a favourite. I am going with #18. Don’t let clutter take over-have a clear out. Clutter causes stress and more work keeping things tidy.

I find that cleaning off my desk is the best quick fix I can do if I’m feeling scattered. It’s instant relief.

Long term, I like #12. Build in exercise periods to your week. Being at home may reduce your physical activity and so when combined with the risk to snack more, increases the chances of gaining weight.

I find that if I can stay with my regular exercise routine I feel so much better that it effects everything in a positive way, including business, as much because I feel better disciplined as for the health benefits which are great too.

• Andrew Rondeau February 5, 2010 at 9:03 am #

Jan,

I’ve started a new fitness regime this year. It gets me away from my desk every day for at least 30 mins. Sometimes 90.

I’ve got to stick with it and I feel so much better afterwards. I’m sure I’m more productive!

28. Antti Kokkonen February 4, 2010 at 9:27 pm #

Great tips on the list, and I just left a comment on the Digg as well that most tips are good for any work at home -type, even “non-bloggers”, and many bloggers can take many tips even if they do not “work”. With that, very versatile and highly useful list you made for us Andrew = awesome!
    .-= Antti [email protected]´s last blog ..Now You Can Start a Mailing List for Free! =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 5, 2010 at 8:53 am #

Antti,

Thanks for the extra social love.

It’s true – the tips are not just for bloggers – they could be use for any work at home profession and for some that those work for companies.

29. Lisa February 4, 2010 at 9:52 pm #

Great post! I work in an office, and rarely, if ever, get to work from home. One thing I have always wondered was, if I could work from home, would I really work? I am sure I would find myself, cleaning, doing laundry, and other chores instead. I figured I might do everything but work if I was home.

Your tips make me realize that good planning and focus makes working from home possible and productive. One tip that I’ll add is “keep your surroundings neat.” If you notice things are out of place or need cleaning, you’ll be apt to start cleaning, rather than working.
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Message to Steve Jobs =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 5, 2010 at 8:55 am #

Lisa,

I understand exactly what you mean.

It reminds of having holidays at home. They don’t end up being a holiday – you end up doing all the household chores.

Thanks for the extra tip.

30. David Rogers February 4, 2010 at 11:37 pm #

51 – Remember you are running a business, not a hobby. Spending time on other websites can be like wandering around a shopping centre; be clear how you spend your work time.
    .-= David [email protected] confidence´s last blog ..Is Optimism the Foundation of Self Confidence? =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 5, 2010 at 8:57 am #

David,

Excellent added tip. You are right – your blog is your on-line business.

31. Keller Hawthorne February 5, 2010 at 2:39 am #

Great list Andrew! I would like to add one:

Don’t let success distract you from continuing to work hard and move forward.

I’ve allowed myself to get comfortable at times – money is coming almost on auto-pilot, so I begin focusing on other things, such as chores, etc. Eventually, the success can diminish if you stop paying attention to it. If I worked for someone, success wouldn’t mean I get to stay home that week.
    .-= Keller Hawthorne´s last blog ..VIDEO: Link Cloaking 101: What, Why and How =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 5, 2010 at 8:59 am #

“If I worked for someone, success wouldn’t mean I get to stay home that week.”

We should shout that slogan from the roof-tops and disply it in neon lights

BRIL-LI-ANT!

32. Eat Smart Age Smart February 5, 2010 at 6:10 am #

As a healthy eating expert, I’d say that these words are close to my heart:
    “Take proper meal breaks, away from the computer rather than grazing all day. A real meal is more satisfying and less likely to encourage further snacking.”

I quite like #12 as well because a lot of internet marketers forget time in front of that screen and forget about their health!

This is excellent advise.

Krizia
    .-= Eat Smart Age Smart ´s last blog ..Hula hoop is the new fitness craze for 2010 =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 5, 2010 at 9:05 am #

Krizia

There is so much argument over take meals vs graze.

Taking meals does take you away from the PC and that’s a good thing. Grazing can make you just go back to the PC and start working again.

How about grazing and just sitting down on the sofa for 15 minutes. What’s your thoughts on that?

33. The Niche Think Tank February 5, 2010 at 7:48 pm #

The Bane of my existence. Things piling up on my desk, and cluttering my mind. As I finish reading this post I am also de-cluttering my desk and I can feel the relaxation creeping back in. I can’t stand clutter but it always seems to happen. An uncluttered home is an uncluttered mind. Thanks Andrew for prompting me….

34. Jeff February 5, 2010 at 3:56 pm #

I think working in my pyjamas is my favorite part of working at home. My least favorite is my 2year old dog that wants to play all day. Great article, and tips.
    .-= Jeff´s last blog ..How to Start a Home-Based Photography Business, 5th (Home-Based Business Series) (Paperback) =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 6, 2010 at 7:36 am #

Jeff,

Our dog has gone to pet heaven but when he was with us – he would sneak upstairs (he wasn’t allowed upstairs!) slowly walk into my office and lie by my feet. It was as though he thought I didn’t notice. of course, I let him stay – it was nice to have the company.

35. greenlants February 6, 2010 at 11:51 am #

This is a very good list, sometimes it can be hard to deal with life but these tips might make things easier. I think the one I need to remember the most personally is #35, sometimes it can be hard to let stuff go in general, and that can be distracting.

A lot of the tips seem to be themed around getting rid of distractions and generally making your surrounding a good place where you can be productive and get things accomplished. Great list, thanks for sharing!

• Andrew Rondeau February 7, 2010 at 3:02 pm #

Greenlants,

By getting rid of the distraction, it can help you focus. I know I get much more complete when I have less distractions around me.

36. Gail February 6, 2010 at 11:25 pm #

I have the ability to tune out everything when I’m working so in my case it doesn’t matter if the television is playing in the background or there is clutter because I simply do not see it. I am so totally focused on what I”m doing that it takes some doing to get my attention.

I hope you and your readers will participate in my new BizLuv MEME and come by and visit. I have tons of information on how to grow any blog or business online. Besides generating income with your own blog there are growing opportunities for writing for businesses, submitting businesses to Local Search directories and managing Social Networking accounts for businesses.
    .-= Gail @ Do Follow Lists´s last blog ..MEME: BizLuv in Support of Small Businesses =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 7, 2010 at 3:03 pm #

Hi Gail,

Thanks for coming over!

How about a guets post – that would help improve your profile with my readers?

37. Tiffany February 7, 2010 at 3:53 am #

Wonderful tips for bloggers who work from home. Being that I work from home with two small kids I know he difficulties that a person ca face day to day trying to make it all work. Sometimes you need a post like this to just remind you of some simple things to get you through your day.
    .-= Tiffany @ online passive income´s last blog ..My January Online Passive Income Earnings Revealed =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 7, 2010 at 3:04 pm #

Tiffany,

It is amazing what we forget we can do, isn’t it?

A little gentle reminder can make all the difference.

38. Jeff Kay February 7, 2010 at 5:24 pm #

Great list. A lot of good advice. I especially like #26. It’s easy to get caught in a perpetual loop, where you’re doing the same things over and over. Thanks for the article!
    .-= Jeff Kay´s last blog ..Your Destination Is Not A Real Place =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 8, 2010 at 9:58 am #

Jeff,

I like to think I do 26 everyday but I don’t go out my way everyday to do so. Some days I do think, right do some more of the course I’m following or read 20 other blog posts on a particular subject.

39. ConnieFoggles February 8, 2010 at 12:45 am #

Very good points especially for those who may first be working on their own for the first time. It’s often difficult to manage time. Personally, as a Product Review Writer and Blogger, I need to have the TV on in the background. I was like that in school too. Not sure if it’s my genes or what, but my 2 daughters are the same way.
    .-= ConnieFoggles´s last blog ..Soft Scrub Total Bath And Bowl Review =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 8, 2010 at 10:02 am #

Connie,

Thanks for coming over. Managing time can be difficult for many. One really has to focus and be determined. Writing a work list helps me. I don’t finish until everything is done!

40. Heather in BC February 8, 2010 at 5:31 am #

So true about listening to elderly people… my Dad is 96 and he talks A LOT – but he quite often has amazing insight into subjects he hears on TV. Actually, he surprises me – and I love to share his thoughts on Twitter, FB and my blog 🙂

Good tips you’ve shared here – thanks!
    .-= Heather in BC´s last blog ..Product Review Blog Carnival Valentine Gifts =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 8, 2010 at 10:07 am #

Heather,

The think the older generation do see things differently and that can make some excellent stories. Does he like to write himself?

41. Dennis Edell February 8, 2010 at 10:18 pm #

The problem I have with the older generation (i.e. my parents) is their outright refusal it seems to adapt in anyway shape or form.

I’ll be 40 this April and my Mother is still very much “industrial age”,…get a good job with a large company, work for 76 yrs and retire with a pension and social security…

Hellooooo is this thing on??? LOL

(God forbid I leave crumbs on my plate, I still get 20 minutes about starving kids in China.)
    .-= Dennis Edell´s last blog ..Here We Go! Theme Construction Part 1 – Your Participation Is Wanted-Needed! =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 9, 2010 at 4:44 pm #

Dennis,

What you write reminds me ‘Rich Dad, Poor Dad’. The next generation is definately the non-corporate type.

42. Dennis Edell February 8, 2010 at 10:20 pm #

Hmm simple HTML doesn’t work in your comments? That last line about crumbs should have been in italics.

• Andrew Rondeau February 9, 2010 at 4:45 pm #

Dennis,

it’s looks like italics when I view within the dahsboard but not via the actual blog – weird!

43. Shirley February 10, 2010 at 8:02 pm #

I think that many of these tips are a huge issues for most of us that work at home. The sooner we realize what we are doing to ourselves the better. It is so easy to sit for hours and not move.
    Time just flies by and before you know it you’ve been sitting for 4 or 5 hours.
    If we are totally honest with ourselves we know we don’t feel as good as when we moved and had natural breaks during the day.
    I have been doing this for almost a year and suddenly realized how stiff I feel and how much quicker I get out of breath. I have vowed to do things differently this year.

• Andrew Rondeau February 11, 2010 at 7:27 pm #

Shirley,

While working from home in the last year, I’ve gained 25lbs due to no exercise.

This year my aim is to lose it! I’m now going to the gym 5 times a week.

• Dennis Edell February 11, 2010 at 7:33 pm #

Damn dude, separate words, I read 251. LOL
        .-= Dennis Edell´s last blog ..UPDATED – Here We Go! Theme Construction Part 1 – Your Participation Is Wanted-Needed! =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 12, 2010 at 10:33 am #

WOW – that would be a lot to gain in a year – 5 lb a week!

44. chandan February 11, 2010 at 3:58 am #

Hi Andrew how are you? For me when I write article or when studying any thing then I stay away from musics or other entertaining things.

I only listen music when I work any manual work.
    .-= chandan´s last blog ..The Super Bowl 2010 =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 11, 2010 at 7:21 pm #

I’m good, Chandan and you?

I can understand what you are saying. I quite like some music in the background.

45. Arafat Hossain Piyada February 11, 2010 at 1:01 pm #

Very effective tips. I need to concentrate on one point most. I have to schedule a time for exercise as my weight is increasing.
    .-= Arafat Hossain Piyada´s last blog ..Valentine’s Day Theme For Windows 7 =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 11, 2010 at 7:19 pm #

Arafat

In the last year I gained 25lbs when working from home. This year my aim is to lose it! I’m now going to the gym 5 times a week.

46. Arun Basil Lal February 13, 2010 at 5:59 am #

Loved those tips, I have to take care of my food habits now. Am gaining weight fast.

btw, the formatting makes it hard to read. It would have been better if you bold-ed the most important part of the tip rather than bolding alternate tips.

Like:

Great work 🙂

• Andrew Rondeau February 13, 2010 at 7:28 am #

You are gaining weight! Most people want to lose it!

Thanks for your views on formatting – I cannot please everyone, though.

If I did it as you suggest – others would complain about that way.

47. jan geronimo February 13, 2010 at 1:08 pm #

I love that you mentioned about laughter. A good sense of humor can give one a great sense of perspective. Saves a lot of unnecessary grief if sometimes take ourselves a little less seriously. And when the going gets rough laughter will help us stay the course.

I’ve read a study commissioned by the New York Times about their most emailed stories. Turns out that the common thread among those posts that resonated well with its readers is the accent on positive and awe inspiring stories. Maybe we can take a hint from that finding. Too much negativity doesn’t sell. Positive stories do and readers go the extra lengths to share them.
    .-= jan geronimo´s last blog ..When a Question Is the Answer =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 15, 2010 at 9:18 am #

Jan,

You are right – laughter makes all the difference.

Great find re: NYT. I’m inspired by postive personal stories as many others are.

48. Chris February 22, 2010 at 6:50 am #

I certainly have difficulty with #40: work isn’t life. I am a college student and all I do is work for school and then blogging … It’s a tough life but I am hoping the blogging part of it will allow me to quit the day job someday :).
    .-= [email protected] a name for your blog´s last blog ..Submitting your blog to directories =-.

• Andrew Rondeau February 22, 2010 at 1:33 pm #

Chris,

‘quit the day job’? You mean college?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 10 Tips To Teach You How To Blog - February 7, 2010

[…] 50 Tips For Bloggers Who Work From Home – WeBuildYourBlog Many people could benefit from some simple tips to improve their life, but […]

2. Sunday Killer Link Love Post #11 - Cash-Bandit.com - February 7, 2010