From ways to succeed at work to how to relax, here are fifty tips to help turn your life around.
1. Create a healthy working environment. Long periods of typing in the wrong position can lead to repetitive strain injuries, headaches and other ongoing afflictions. A good desk and chair at the right height is essential.
2. Distractions cost you time, keep the TV off when writing.
3. Separate home and writing by not writing in a place where most of your daily activities occur. This can help you get into the right frame of mind to write.
4. Don’t be afraid to have an office full of toys if you have kids at home. They will need to be happy and occupied for you to have a chance to write.
5. Some noise and distractions can’t be avoided. Music or white noise can help to block them out.
6. Music affects your mood so careful choices are essential. Motivational music is helpful but soothing music may lull you to sleep or break your concentration.
7. Working from home removes one way of making contact with others. Make the needed effort to replace that by taking up a hobby.
8. Don’t let your day be an endless snack break. Being home keeps you close to your pantry-temptation is close at hand. Eat only at set times.
9. Keep healthy snacks on hand for when you give in to temptation.
10. Take proper meal breaks, away from the computer rather than grazing all day. A real meal is more satisfying and less likely to encourage further snacking.
11. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, eat a healthy, hearty meal, and don’t skip it.
12. Build in exercise periods to your week. Being at home may reduce your physical activity and so when combined with the risk to snack more, increases the chances of gaining weight.
13. Exercise can help you feel good by releasing endorphins and also help you concentrate. Make use of this to perk you up.
14. Learn to relax, and practice meditation if it helps.
15. Keeping work and home separate can help relaxation, as few people can relax at work.
16. Take note of when you are happy and why. These moments can be used as a focus for meditation and thoughtful relaxation, and once you know what makes you happy you can try to recreate those times more often.
17. Make a dedicated relaxation nook in your home. Soft lighting and furnishing, a few growing plants and your favorite books or music may help you unwind.
18. Don’t let clutter take over-have a clear out. Clutter causes stress and more work keeping things tidy.
19. Make time to be with friends and family, and keep up with their news and good fortunes.
20. Talk about things that are bothering you, be they work or personal. Solutions may be found, but if nothing else friends support friends.
21. Avoid jealousy when things are going well for others-this negative emotion can lead to more negativity.
22. Try to see the world through the eyes of a child. Their joy and love of life is contagious.
23. Learn from the wisdom of older people-listen patiently when they recount stories of their youth, as they may have a lot they can teach you.
24. Put time aside each day for time outside. The break from routine is refreshing, as is the fresh air. Take time to appreciate nature.
25. If something causes you stress try to let it go. When stress becomes the focus of your day then it is hard to get anything else done.
26. Learn something new every day to help keep your mind sharp.
27. Being your own boss is hard work when you are used to having someone tell you what to do. Set goals and aim to meet them on time.
28. Work hard to achieve goals-not meeting them can cause further delays in other work later in the week and can make it increasingly hard to get back on top. It also makes you feel bad.
29. Make your goals small and achievable at steps along a large project-too large a goal to handle can lead to failure, especially when it is hard to estimate the needed time. Reaching these goes makes you feel good.
30. Set goals for your life achievement as well as your work. Aim to fix up your home, lose weight, or whatever else is bothering you.
31. Be realistic. Aiming to rule the world within two years is destined to failure, and more negative feelings.
32. Set new goals when previous ones have been reached. Never leave yourself without the motivation of achievable goals.
33. Thought should precede action. Ill thought out action has a greater chance of failing or going wrong.
34. If something goes wrong with either your personal or work life, try to fix it before you go to sleep. Not doing so can spoil your sleep and prolong ill feeling.
35. Don’t dwell on your failures, now or in the past. Chances are you won’t remember them a few years from now.
36. When the day is over reflect on your achievements that day, and try to forget the rest.
37. Follow through on things that need to be done. Don’t put something aside with promises to yourself that you will do it later, because chances are you won’t. If it needs doing, do it now.
38. Money isn’t everything, and there are times when you have to cut back on the work that you do for your own personal good. After all what is the point in working 24/7 if you have no time to enjoy it?
39. Supporting your family involves more than just making money. Be there for their emotional needs as well, and spend time with them so that you know what is going on in their life.
40. Work isn’t life. Make time for fun and things that you enjoy, even if that is just a bubble bath.
41. Make work fun! If a visit to the zoo, or a wildlife reserve can be incorporated into what you do it can ease the stress and avoid monotony.
42. Learn when to walk away and take a break. There’s plenty that needs doing in the house if you want to change task, but don’t sit at the desk and idle. If your concentration is broken, learn when to walk away to refresh, so you can come back renewed.
43. Where you can, make changes to eliminate the things in your life that make you unhappy.
44. Learn to accept that there are things you cannot change and make peace with them. Don’t let them be a focus of your day.
45. Being optimistic helps you see the best in people and get the best from life. On the other hand people who expect bad things to happen normally find a way to make it so.
46. Find time for laughter. Read a joke a day to keep your mood up, and smile more.
47. Believe in yourself and your own future success.
48. Don’t listen to doubters if they tell you that you cannot do something-you are in control of your life.
49. Establish a good routine and keep to it so that you know when you are working and so that you don’t run out of time, and when you can relax.
50. Don’t stay in your pyjamas all day unless you are able to work well that relaxed. Getting dressed may help you find the right mindset for working.
What works for you? Any tips you’d like to add? Please share in the comments below.